Member of The Writers’ Union of Canada. Presents in English to all ages, including adults.
Mahak is the author of Maya (illust. by Elly MacKay), winner of the South Asia Book Award and a Kirkus Best Book of the Year; Bharatanatyam in Ballet Shoes (illust. by Anu Chouhan); and The Only Astronaut (illust. by Andrea Stegmaier), forthcoming in spring 2023. She also writes poetry and fiction for adults and teaches creative writing at Sheridan College.
Virtual Sessions (Preferred): Mahak has extensive experience presenting virtually across platforms. She works closely with educators and librarians in advance of the visit to present sessions that are dynamic and incorporate stimulating activities, including a Q&A.
- A 30-minute session is $150. Additional same-day sessions are $100.
- A 60-minute session is $250. Additional same-day sessions are $200.
HST is additional.
In-Person Sessions (Limited): Mahak has years of experience leading interactive writing workshops and activities at public schools and through the Toronto Public Library. Audience size and venue is flexible. A table, laptop, projector, projector screen, and a microphone are required; some sessions will also require paper, pencils, crayons, and writing surfaces.
- A 30-minute session is $200. Additional sessions are $150. Minimum two sessions.
- A 60-minute session is $350. Additional same-day sessions are $300.
- Travel (Toronto, Etobicoke, Mississauga, Brampton) and HST is additional.
For all ages, Mahak can lead an interactive presentation tied to one of her picture books, including a reading, a behind-the-scenes glimpse into the writing process, and a Q&A.
- A presentation on Maya will discuss India’s fauna and flora, the monsoon season, and the author’s childhood.
- A presentation on Bharatanatyam in Ballet Shoes will discuss the history of the dance forms, Bharatanatyam and ballet dress and jewelry, and the author’s childhood.
Depending on audience and size, presentations can also focus on the author’s writing journey and creative process, with brief introductions to each book.