Valene Campbell was born and raised in Mississauga with deep ties hailing from her Jamaican heritage. Valene attended 2 HBCUs (historically Black Colleges and Universities) where she graduated with a Master of Physical Therapy, with honours. Valene is a Founder, dementia and diverse children’s literature advocate, and was recently awarded as being among Canada’s Top 100 Black Women to Watch in 2022, yet her most important role is being a mom to her little girl.
In recent years, Valene has rediscovered her joy of writing and has now penned three highly acclaimed children’s books from The Amazing Zoe series, published through Zou Zou Media House Inc.
Book 1 The Amazing Zoe Defeats The Germie Germlins (2020)
Book 2 The Amazing Zoe, A Queen Like Me! (2020) -Named as one of the Top Recommended Reads for the TD Summer Reading Program
Book 3 The Amazing Zoe and Grandma’s Memory Box (2021)-This story has been utilized as a resource for the Alzheimer’s Association across the US.
Valene’s stories are engaging and uniquely delve into everyday ‘real-life’ topics such as hygiene, health & safety, friendship, and various social issues that humanize the experiences of children of colour. After reading any book from this series, you and your child(ren) will enjoy insightful, thought-provoking conversations that will keep are perfect for the classroom or family time at home. Valene strives to erase the invisibility of marginalized characters from Canadian literature and uses her stories to foster positive cultural exchange for young readers.
Picture book with a customized diversity presentation for ages 5-13. The writing workshops are best for ages 6-15.
- Read aloud with Q & A only : (30 minutes | $250)
- Read aloud, customized diversity presentation, and Q & A : (60 minutes | $375)
- Read aloud, customized diversity presentation, Afro-Caribbean dance-along with a certified dance instructor and Q & A : (75-80 minutes | $650)
Add a second session for $350
- Read aloud, customized diversity presentation, Afro-Caribbean dance-along with a certified dance instructor, Q & A, 1 arts and crafts activity related to the story of choice. Best when divided by grades K-3, and 4-8: (1/2 day $1200)
Add a second session for $575
- Valene’s Writing Workshop (Ages 6-13)
This workshop is designed for emerging writers to develop and explore their creativity through learning the fundamentals of storytelling. Students will learn how to:
* gathering ideas
* creating characters and settings
* write a short story
* Foundational editing
Students will also learn Valene’s tried and true formula that encourages writing prompts that spark the imagination and hone new skills. Students will feel productive and inspired to keep on writing. The best of all, it’s really fun!
(60 minutes | $300)
Add a second session for $175
+travel (61 cents/KM return)