Joy Norstrom is a member of the Alexandra Writers’ Centre Society, SCBWI (Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators) and CANSCAIP (Canadian Society of Children’s Authors, Illustrators and Performers).
- $125 for a 30 to 45-minute meet and greet with an author. (Includes a reading and opportunity to ask questions about the writing and publishing process). Comfortable on most platforms (Google Meets, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc).
- $125 for 30 mins (K-3)
- $175 for 40 mins (Gr 4-6)
- $225 for 60 mins (Gr 10-12, adults)
- Discounts available when booking multiple sessions for the same day
- Are you located in southern or central Alberta? The cost of travel is .50 cents per km in Calgary and reimbursement of fuel charges for destinations outside of Calgary.
- Are you located further away? Joy loves visiting new-to-her communities. Cost of travel to be determined based on destination and means of transportation required.
Joy Norstrom (she/her) is a contemporary fiction writer and social worker residing in Treaty 7 Territory, Calgary Alberta. Her first picture book, Marjorie Magic (Dixi Books Ltd) will be released in November 2022 and she can’t wait to share this story with readers of all ages, but especially those who dream of magic. Joy also writes short stories and novel length work. Her books Flying the Nest (2020) and Out of Play (2016) feature quirky characters facing real life difficulties.
Joy is available to present in English and is experienced working with ESL students. She is happy to work with an interpreter.
- Meet and Greet plus Author Reading
- How a Picture Book is Made
- How to Write a Story: Beginning, Middle and End
- How to Make Characters that Jump off the Page
(10 – 12)
- Story as a Tool for Social Justice
- Relationship Tension: How to Strengthen your Story and Keep Readers Turning Pages (when they should be asleep!)
Joy is happy to meet outdoors (weather permitting) or indoors for informal reading and Meet and Greet with the author. For all other sessions an indoor space with limited distractions.
Supplies needed: flip chart paper, colourful markers, a chair, and a glass of tap water works well when presenting to younger audiences.
A projector and screen are needed for longer sessions and workshops. A table for Joy to place her materials as well as a chair are helpful.
Joy enjoys getting to know the audience so prefers smaller groups of up to 35 students.