Vancouver BC. Writers’ Union Member. Aussie adopted by Canada; Finalist in GG Lit Awards and BC Book Prizes, multi awards in Australia.
Fees: $300 for 1 session, $500 for 2, $700 for 3, 850 for 4 (plus HST). A day can be
shared between two cooperating schools. For the GTA (and Toronto bookings near GO stations), Darren can GO TRAIN (not buses or subway) travel both ways all day; he requires pick up and drop off at the GO stations. Where GO Trains are not feasible, car or taxi pick-up from Darren’s hotel is requested.
Virtual Visits: $100 plus HST, 30 minutes; $150 plus HST, 60 minutes FaceTime.
Darren is a Canozzie (Canadian-Australian), ex-PE teacher, proud ASD parent and author of six novels, including the acclaimed YA works ‘Are You Seeing Me?’ and ‘Munro vs. the Coyote’. He is a past winner of the Adelaide Festival Award for YA Literature and has been a finalist in the Governor General’s Literary Awards and the BC Book Prizes.
Presentations: Despite his occasional confounding accent and Aussie-isms, Darren is a brilliant speaker and presenter for schools, libraries and writing organizations. Presentations include:
- ‘#AuthorLife’ is a fun flyover of the scribbler life, answering such questions as ‘How did you get here?’, ‘Where do your ideas come from?’ and ‘What’s the best thing about being a writer?’; includes an interactive game with prizes; grades 7-12; 60 minutes; suitable for individual classes or larger groups.
- ‘Overcoming the Coyote’ is a powerful and engaging exploration of the 2017 YA novel ‘Munro vs. the Coyote’, the folklore of the coyote’s “trickster” reputation, and strategies to defeat inner voices of negativity; includes two interactive games with prizes: ‘Fair Go Facts’ and ‘Coyote Says’; Grades 7-12; 60 minutes; suitable for individual classes or large groups.
- ‘Seven Pieces of Priceless Advice from Perry’; an entertaining insight into the decorated YA novel ‘Are You Seeing Me?’ and an exploration of life lessons provided by protagonist, Perry Richter; includes two interactive games with prizes: ‘AYSM Numbers’ and ‘Jackie Chan or Ogopogo’; Grades 5-12; 60 minutes; suitable for individual classes or large groups.
- ‘Coming to Canada’; a reflective and humourous look at cultural difference in Darren’s fiction, teaching and real life; includes one interactive game with prizes: ‘Aussie Interpretations’; Grades 5-12; 60 minutes; suitable for individual classes or large groups.
Workshops: Darren is a facilitator highly skilled in co-operative learning techniques. His sessions are designed to not only produce great writing, but also great collaboration. Workshops include:
- ‘Authorship: The FAQ’; a comprehensive and interactive overview of ‘insider’ author knowledge; includes five co-operative group exercises; half-day, only for creative writing groups (max. 16); suitable for secondary students and adults.
- ‘Seeing is Believing’; a flyover of the ‘Are You Seeing Me?’ journey, from conception to publication; includes two co-operative group exercises; 60-90 minutes; only for creative writing groups (max. 16); suitable for secondary students and adults.
- ‘Small Stories, Big Dreams: Adventures in Flash Fiction’; a deep dive into the world of flash fiction, its craft, its creation and its publishing opportunities; includes multiple writing exercises, an open mike session, and a competition/prizes; half- or full day; only for creative writing groups (max. 16); suitable for secondary students and adults.
Equipment requirements: Water, tea, lunch (Vegemite sandwich lol) if staying for the day. A screen and projector for Power Point.
Contact to book Darren for a visit: